In Determining long term spousal support the Court has broad discretion. The Court may order spousal support in any amount for as long as the court deems just and reasonable based on the marital standard of living. Family Code 4330.
Factors to be considered by the California judges are set forth in Family Code 4320:
- Earning capacity of each spouse, taking into account extent to which supported spouse’s present and future earning capacity may be impaired by periods of unemployment to devote time to domestic duties.
- Extent to which supported spouse “contributed to the attainment of an education, training, a career position, or a license by the supporting party.”
- Needs, obligations and assets, including separate property.
- Duration of marriage.
- Marketable skills; time and experience to acquire; ability to engage in gainful employment without interfering with interests of dependent kids in custody.
- Time for supported spouse to acquire appropriate education, training and employment.
- Standard of living.
- Domestic violence.
- Any other factor the court deems equitable.
- Spousal Support Duration.